Enclosed car shipping offers a premium alternative to traditional auto transport services. When you opt for enclosed carrier for your auto shipment, you get the assurance that your vehicle will arrive at its final destination in the same condition that it was dropped off in. During your vehicle’s journey, it is fully protected from the elements, inclement weather and potential road hazards. Not to mention, you also receive higher insurance coverage and the peace of mind that goes along with it.
Enclosed Transport Characteristics
Whether you’re looking to transport a sports car, classic car, or any other vehicle in showroom condition, enclosed auto transport is the way to go. The hydraulic lift gates on enclosed car carriers are specially designed to accommodate cars with low ground clearance. This is a feature that is simply not possible with open-air transport trailers.
Additionally, enclosed car shipping drastically decreases the chances of your vehicle experiencing any damage during transport, as it will not be exposed to any unforeseen dangers at any point of the shipment.
- Higher Insurance Coverage – with enclosed car shipping you get a more insurance coverage. This can be incredibly beneficial for higher-valued vehicles, should the unthinkable happen.
- Climate Controlled – enclosed car trailers are fully climate controlled, offering the ability to change the temperature in extreme weather conditions. This feature helps to prevent any possible weather damage, both hot and cold.
- Drop Floors – drop floors in some enclosed trailers provide the opportunity to accommodate more vehicles. More vehicles being shipped alongside your own means a better value for you.
- Secure Straps – as opposed to chains, straps are used to secure your vehicle in place during transit. Using these straps also helps to protect your car’s suspension.
- Lift Gate – hydraulic lift gates make loading cars with low ground clearance both possible and safe. If you opt for open transport instead, this feature is not offered.
How Much Does Enclosed Car Shipping Cost?
As you may or may not be aware of at this point, there are two primary transportation methods for shipping vehicles domestically: Open Car Shipping and Enclosed Car Shipping. When you’re considering enclosed auto transport, as it is the more expensive option of the two, you want to ensure that you fully understand the factors that influence its cost.
On average, you will find that enclosed car shipping rates are about 40% more expensive than traditional open-air transport services. When you reach out to an auto transport company to obtain a shipping quote, the estimate they provide you with is dependent on a number of factors. At Ship Vehicles, we offer fully customized quotes to give you the most accurate enclosed car shipping rates possible.
Factors That Determine Enclosed Car Shipping Rates
The first thing to consider is the fact that, on average, enclosed car shipping costs about $1.00 a mile. This rate is roughly twice the amount of open auto transport. However, this is not what you should base the price on, as there are other factors that influence the actual cost of enclosed auto transport. Here are some of the other determinants that impact the final cost of enclosed car shipping services.
- Weather Conditions: In most instances, using enclosed car shipping services during the winter months will raise the cost simply because your car will have to be transported through areas of the country that experience harsh, snowy and icy conditions. The increase in price also has to do with the lower number of scheduled routes and the additional security measures that must take place to avoid possible risks while in transit. Additionally, when a trucker is driver through conditions where roads are covered in snow and/or ice, it is much more hazardous and insurance costs are higher as a result.
- Location: Aside from overall distance, the location of the pickup and drop off locations can significantly drive up the costs of transport. This is especially true if you live in areas that are more remote or aren’t easily accessible by a large transport trailer. For example, if you were to purchase door-to-door shipping, you can expect to pay more if you do not live in a major metropolitan area. In this instance, you can lower the costs by driving your own vehicle to a more suitable, cost-effective location. This can be easily arranged with your auto shipping company.
If you live in, or near, a city that is close in proximity to a heavily-trafficked route, costs can be lowered. Overall, the more populous an area is, the more transport trucks that will pass through and near it on a daily basis. This can often result in lower costs for you and a decrease of up to 50% depending on how high-traffic the area is.
Believe it or not, the elevation of the area is another determining factor. If you live in the mountains, you can expect to experience higher costs because your enclosed transport truck will have to take extra security measures. In spots where the road is particularly steep, your trucker will have to drive slower, which will increase transit time and result in a slight increase in your enclosed shipping rate.
Hard-Side vs. Soft-Side Enclosed Car Shipping
There are two types of enclosed car shipping carriers that you will find on the road: hard-sided and soft-sided. If you’re ever given the choice between the two, always opt for hard-side enclosed shipping. Although soft-side is more affordable and still an excellent alternative to open-air transport, it does not offer all of the benefits of a fully enclosed container.
Additionally, most do not come with a lift gate and the soft-siding means that the carrier is not climate controlled. In order to take full advantage of the security and protection of enclosed auto shipping, choose a trailer that is hard-sided.
Why Does Enclosed Car Shipping Cost More Than Open Transport?
Aside from the above factors that influence enclosed car shipping rates, this service costs more than the conventional open-air transport because of a couple reasons:
- Enclosed auto trailers are limited in space and the number of cars that they can carry. Depending on whether or not the carrier has two levels, they typically can only haul between 2 and 7 vehicles at a time. Open auto transport carriers, on the other hand, can carry 8 to 10 cars. In general, the more vehicles a trailer can haul, the cheaper the cost.
- The specialized equipment that is utilized by enclosed car shipping is more expensive to both obtain and service. This equipment includes special ropes and harnesses that help to minimize road shock and movement of the car while in transit.
- Enclosed auto transport is not as common. Since this service is used less frequently, costs are higher which is typical of basic supply and demand.
- Enclosed car shipping carriers must be equipped with a particular outer layer design that adds additional protection to safeguard the containers against the elements.
When you consider all of these factors, it’s much easier to understand why you should never rely on an automatically-generated quote for enclosed auto transport. Simply use instant quotes as a guide and for the most accurate enclosed car shipping rates, speak with an auto shipping company directly. You can receive your custom no-cost, no-obligation shipping quote by filling out our online request form or calling (877) 310-6434. Call today to find out how you could save up to 20% on your next enclosed auto transport!
- A Brief Guide to Car Moving
- Everything About Shipping Multiple Cars Across Country
- Helpful Tips to Send Car to Another State
- Pickup Truck Delivery – The Benefits Associated
- Everything About Military PCS Vehicle Shipping
- Shipping Your Copart Auction Vehicle with the Right Copart Shipping Services
- Can you Ship a Car – Find the Answer Here!
- Everything You Must Know About How to Ship My Car to Hawaii
- How to Ensure a Safe Auto Transport!
- Here’s Your Guide To Motorcycle Shipping Cost Estimator