Shipping a vehicle from one corner of the country to another is a grand operation. It’s a long-distance that should be covered by a professional company to avoid stress and unwanted issues. Such a long road has to be planned ahead and you, as a customer, will have to research the best option for you.
But, how much can you expect to pay when shipping your car from one coast to the other?
We will go through all the aspects that you need to consider when scheduling such a shipment in the following article.
What Is the Average Price for Cross-Country Auto Transport?
The cost of transporting your car from California to New York in an open-air multi-leveled trailer is:
- $600 to $1,000 for a compact, four-door can;
- $900 to $1,200 for SUVs, pick-up trucks, minivans.
If you opt for an enclosed trailer, the prices will rise as follows:
- $750 to $1,250 for a compact car (this 25% increase is the minimum to be expected, but the price could rise with up to 50%);
- $1,125 to $1,500 for an SUV, pick-up truck, or minivan.
If you have to ship your car at the peak of the season, the prices might increase by $200-$500.
How Is the Price of Auto Transport Calculated?
One of the most important factors to consider when choosing an auto carrier is the cost. The cost of shipping your vehicle from California to New York is calculated by weighing the following factors:
- The Type of Carrier That Will Be Used
There are two main options when it comes to the type of carrier that you can choose: open-air or enclosed. Depending on your vehicle, you will be perfectly fine with choosing an open-air trailer, or you will have to pick an enclosed carrier to protect your vehicle.
- The Distance That Will Be Covered
This variable is one of the main factors influencing the cost. For such a long distance as the one between California and New York, you have to expect to spend quite a large sum. We will discuss the average prices for this distance later on in the article.
An interesting fact about auto transport is that the price per mile will go down as the distance increases. The explanation is that other factors besides the distance will be calculated the same, weighing more in a short distance haul than in a long-distance one.
- How Early You Book Your Shipment
The industry of auto transport has intricate logistics that it depends on. Booking your shipment as early as possible will give you more options to choose from, and it can save you money by eliminating urgency fees.
- The Time of the Year and Month
If you are able to choose the date of the shipment, try to schedule it off-season. The busiest time for auto transport companies is the summer, as most customers ship their cars because they are moving to a new home. A lot of people prefer doing it during summer because they have more free days, the weather doesn’t impose any issues, schools are closed, and the kids have more time to adapt.
Also, the time of the month when you choose to ship your car can influence the price, as auto transport companies might be busier at the beginning and at the end of a month, making it cheaper to ship your car in the middle of the week.
- The Size of Your Car
Big, heavy vehicles will cost more to transport. First of all, because they take up more space in the trailer, and second of all, because the truck will have to put more effort into transporting a heavier weight, consuming more fuel.
How to Lower the Cost of Auto Transport?
If your budget is the main factor you have to take into account, follow these tips to get the best deal for your auto transport. Book ahead, as early as possible. Select an off-season date and, if your vehicle allows it, choose open-trailer transport. To avoid adding extra weight, don’t put personal belongings in your car.
Contact Us for a Free Quote
Ship Vehicles has been in the business for over 30 years, providing superior cross-country shipping services for all types of vehicles. We offer all types of transport services you may need: open-air and enclosed carriers, shared or unshared trailers, etc.
Get your free personalized quote by calling us, sending us an email, or filling up the form on our website. Our top priority is to keep our customers happy and we’ve successfully done so since the company was founded.
- What Is Piggy Back Truck Transport? Explaining Everything You Should Know
- What Is Driveaway Auto Transport? Explaining The Basics
- Student Vehicle Shipping Discounts – Save Money On Shipping A Car
- Shipping An Airplane – Understanding Your Options & How It Works
- Shipping A Sprinter Van – What You Should Know About Commercial Van Shipping
- Shipping A Fire Truck – Everything You’ve Ever Wanted To Know
- How To Ship A Mobility Van – Answering Your Common FAQs
- How To Ship A Bus – Your Step-By-Step Guide
- Five Reasons to Use an Auto Shipping Service
- Common Auto Shipping Scams and How to Avoid Them