Moving a car can be a daunting task and this is especially true when you have a significant price tag on the vehicle. Cars with an established high value are generally referred to as luxury vehicles. For some, it can take a lifetime’s worth of savings in order to own one of these high-end cars.
Because luxury cars are such a substantial investment, it is not recommended to drive them to a new location when relocating. This can add unnecessary mileage and create undesirable wear, tear and possible damage to the vehicle. Not to mention, the considerable amount of stress and wasted time that is involved in driving a luxury vehicle long-distance. If you need to have your luxury car transported for whatever reason, it can be difficult to entrust it into the hands of a stranger. However, your best course of action is to hire a professional auto transport company that specializes and has extensive experience in transporting luxury vehicles.
It is vital that your luxury car transport company is reliable, dependable and knowledgeable in auto shipping; particularly with handling your precise car’s make and model. You want to ensure that your shipping company will take special care in the transport of your car so that it arrives in the same condition that it was in when it was picked up for shipment when shipping a car across the country.
We’ll examine all your options for transporting a luxury vehicle and help offer some peace of mind knowing that partnering with Ship Vehicles is the best way to guarantee the safety and security of your car.
Enclosed Car Transport for Luxury Vehicles
While you can opt to have your car shipped in an open-air carrier, it is always recommended to transport exotic cars and luxury vehicles by using the enclosed method. Ninety percent of the time, custom, classic and exotic vehicle owners choose enclosed vehicle shipping. The enclosed carriers offer an extra level of safety and protection from any possible road hazards or inclement weather.
In an enclosed trailer, your luxury car will be surrounded on all four sides with walls that are constructed of impact-resistant materials. They can withstand high pressure and any possible damage caused by external factors. While shipping your car in an open-air trailer is the most affordable option, the added costs associated with enclosed transport are well worth it for protecting your investment.
However, if your luxury vehicle needs to be transported internationally, it will be shipped via boat or air freight.
Air Freight Shipping for Luxury Vehicles
For the fastest, most secure shipping method, you can have your luxury car transported by air. With air freight auto shipping your luxury vehicle will be completely protected, fortified and be able to travel long distances in a fraction of the time.
Although this option is less common, it can be done for both international and domestic moves. To ship your vehicle by air freight, you can expect to pay a large sum of money as this method is notoriously the most expensive way to ship a car. Only opt for air shipping if the overall price fits within your budget.
Ocean Freight Shipping for Luxury Vehicles
This method of auto transport is most commonly used when shipping a vehicle overseas. When shipping a vehicle by boat you essentially have two options: roll on/roll off service or container transport. The roll on, roll off method involves the car being driven onto the ship and secured to the deck to prevent movement during its journey. For optimal protection of your luxury vehicle, this method is not recommended as it will be exposed to the elements for the duration of the trip.
On the other hand, container service provides an added level of protection by placing your luxury vehicle in an entirely enclosed shipping container. You can choose a dedicated container for just your vehicle or a larger one that will house your household belongings and vehicle. This service is generally pricier than roll on, roll off transport but offers great peace of mind for luxury car owners.
Door to Door Shipping for Luxury Vehicles
Aside from the mode of shipping, there are two types of transport services that you can choose from for your luxury vehicle’s shipment: terminal to terminal shipping and door to door shipping. With terminal to terminal shipping you are responsible for dropping off the vehicle at a dedicated shipping terminal established by your auto transport company. You will also be required to pick the vehicle up from the destination terminal when it arrives. Choosing this method can save you upwards of $500 at each terminal but necessitates that your vehicle be driven a specific destination and is not as convenient.
Whereas, door to door shipping is slightly more expensive but you’re paying for the convenience of having your vehicle picked up and dropped off at any location of your choosing. The actual price you can expect to pay will depend on overall road conditions, the location terrain and any possible tight spots that could impede maneuverability. Keep in mind that if your chosen area does not have enough space for the transport trailer to fit, you may need to choose a more accommodating location.
How to Prepare Your Luxury Vehicle for Shipment
Similar to shipping most other conventional vehicles, there are some tasks that need to take place in order to ensure that your luxury car is ready for transport. The following are some important steps to take prior to shipment:
- Your luxury vehicle needs to be completely empty. Make sure that you remove any personal items or non-factory equipment prior to shipping. Also, empty your glove box and consoles of anything that could shift during transport.
- Remove loose items and accessories. If your vehicle has any loose accessories such as an antenna or bike rack, take these items off.
- Clean the inside and outside of your vehicle. This will allow for a precise inspection of any preexisting damage. Document and take plenty of photos of the vehicle’s condition.
- If you’ve chosen roll on/roll off, your car must be operable. With roll on, roll off shipping the vehicle needs to be driven on and off the carrier. Provide an extra set of keys to the auto transport service and make sure you have a set for yourself.
- Empty the gas tank so that it is no more than ¼ full. If this isn’t done prior to transport, you may incur a fee.
- For overseas shipping, special paperwork is required. Specifically, you will have to provide 3 notarized copies of the title and a letter from the lien holder, if necessary. These documents will need to be presented at the destination port before shipment.
- Perform any regularly scheduled maintenance. Check brake lines, battery charge and top off the fluids. This will ensure that your car is in good operating condition.
- Turn off any alarms. Shut off any alarms or other anti-theft devices installed in your car.
- Make note of the miles on the odometer. You’ll want to compare the numbers when it arrives at the destination to ensure that no extra miles were logged.
When Your Luxury Vehicle is Delivered
Once your vehicle arrives at the destination, there must be someone ready to receive it. If this person is someone other than you, make sure that they are aware of the tasks they need to do in order to complete a thorough inspection. Particularly, take photos of the condition and check the odometer to compare against the information you collected before transport.
Also, verify that the tires haven’t experienced any unnecessary wear and tear. Through careful documentation of the luxury vehicle’s condition, if needed, you’ll be to fill out insurance claims more easily.
If you’ve determined that you need to transport your luxury vehicle to a new destination, it is absolutely vital that you find the right company for the job. Look no further than Ship Vehicles for all your luxury car transport needs. Take some time to fill out our online request form or you can reach out office directly at (877) 310-6434. Your vehicle will be safe and secure in the hands of our dedicated shipping experts.
- A Brief Guide to Car Moving
- Everything About Shipping Multiple Cars Across Country
- Helpful Tips to Send Car to Another State
- Pickup Truck Delivery – The Benefits Associated
- Everything About Military PCS Vehicle Shipping
- Shipping Your Copart Auction Vehicle with the Right Copart Shipping Services
- Can you Ship a Car – Find the Answer Here!
- Everything You Must Know About How to Ship My Car to Hawaii
- How to Ensure a Safe Auto Transport!
- Here’s Your Guide To Motorcycle Shipping Cost Estimator