With its breathtaking beaches, perfect year-round climate, and something new to do and explore nearly every weekend, it’s no wonder why so many people relocate to Los Angeles, California. As I’m sure you’ve already heard, the weather in LA is pretty remarkable. It is very common for newcomers to move here from the Midwest or East Coast to escape the cold winter months and enjoy year-round sunshine. In Los Angeles you’ll experience winter months with average temperatures that sit in the high 60’s and summer weather mostly in the 70’s. With those numbers, it’s almost impossible to compete with Los Angeles.
Regardless of where you’re coming from, Los Angeles, the entertainment capital of the world, has so much to offer. Moving to Los Angeles not only provides you with exceptional weather, you’ll also have some pretty incredible career and lifestyle opportunities. Los Angeles has a population of nearly four million people and boasts one of the world’s largest economies, following Tokyo and New York. In addition to a ton of urban amenities, you’ll have the added bonus of distant mountains, palm trees and sunshine. Living in Los Angeles will transport you to that laid-back, vacation state-of-mind. After all, who doesn’t want to live where most people vacation?
However, relocating to a new state and entirely different city can be a challenging endeavor. You not only have to worry about moving your household belongings, you also have to manage the transport of your personal vehicle. The Los Angeles metropolitan area is over five hundred square miles and you’ll most definitely want your own car with you to go on little adventures and explore all this wonderful city has to offer.
If you need to have your car shipped to Los Angeles, you’ve come to the right place. We’re here to help shed some light on the process and tell you just exactly how to have your vehicle shipped to your new home in the City of Angels.
Why Ship a Car to Los Angeles?
While you can certainly hop in your car for a cross-country road trip, this isn’t always the best method to transport a vehicle. You can save money, time, and prevent your car from experiencing any unnecessary wear and tear by hiring a reliable auto shipping company. Driving your car across a long distance adds a substantial number of miles to your vehicle, a fact that is undesirable for many car owners. If you own an exotic, classic, or otherwise valuable car, or even one that is leased, you likely want to avoid putting too many miles on it. Not to mention, a long-distance road trip requires many pit stops along the way and you’ll need to find lodging to rest up overnight. Depending on how many days you are on the road, lodging costs will add up significantly, possibly even costing you more than it would to ship your car.
The public transportation system in Los Angeles is expanding, but is still known to be quite limited. If you’re planning an extended stay in LA or moving to the area permanently, other than Hollywood, there are very few locations that are walkable. You can take the metro to reach most popular places such as Long Beach, Pasadena, Hollywood, Santa Monica, and Downtown LA. However, for general convenience and if you want to truly enjoy Los Angeles, it’s recommended to have a car of your own.
How to Ship a Car to Los Angeles
When broken down, the process of shipping a car to Los Angeles can be divided into three basic steps: Hiring a vehicle transport company, preparing the car and dropping it off, and then picking it up in Los Angeles. We’ll dive into these steps in further detail below.
- Hiring a Vehicle Transport Company
- Search online for an auto shipping or auto broker company. The internet can be a great resource for these services and will also help you to find a company that is experienced and trustworthy.
- Determine the company’s credibility. Research the company’s presence online and consider speaking with them over the phone to ask questions.
- Obtain an auto shipping quote. It’s always recommended to gather quotes from at least three companies so that you can compare them and ensure that you are getting the best deal. For a customized quote, you’ll need to provide the car’s make, model, and year along with the pickup and drop off locations and desired services.
- Choose a shipping method. For the most popular and affordable option, choose open-car shipping. Although cost effective, an open-air carrier means that your vehicle will be exposed to the elements. For more protection, opt for enclosed shipping. This is a more expensive shipping service but your car will be placed in a fully closed trailer during its journey.
- Verify insurance coverage. Check with your own insurance policy to see if it covers a shipped vehicle. You’ll also want to verify the insurance that your shipping company offers, should any damage occur to your vehicle during transit.
- Schedule your shipment. Speak with your auto shipping company about your desired time frame, schedule a pick-up date, and complete the booking.
- Preparing and Shipping Your Vehicle to Los Angeles
- Wash your car thoroughly inside and outside. This first step is mandatory and will help you notice any pre-existing damage to be noted before the car is shipped.
- Remove personal belongings from the vehicle. These items are generally not covered by insurance and not permitted by transport companies.
- Disable any car alarms or anti-theft devices. Since your car will be in the hands of the shippers, you do not need to have your car alarm on. In fact, if it goes off during transport, it can be an unpleasant experience for them.
- Leave the gas tank at less than half full. Gas is notoriously heavy and will add to the weight of the transport. Your shipping company may charge you if they have to remove fuel from your tank.
- Document pre-existing damage. Take photos and make a note of any pre-existing damage to the vehicle. This will help you to compare the condition of the car when it arrives in Los Angeles.
- Take your car to the drop-off location. If you did not pay to have the vehicle picked up from your home, you are responsible for dropping it off at an established location to be loaded onto the carrier. Make sure that you bring your driver’s license, proof of insurance, vehicle registration, and any other necessary documents.
- Fill out and sign the Bill of Lading. This is where you’ll want to make sure that all pre-existing damage is noted prior to signing. The Bill of Lading also serves as your receipt and typically lists the contact information for the driver.
- Picking Up the Car in Los Angeles
- Pick up the car on the arranged date and time. You can purchase door-to-door services, where your vehicle gets dropped off at your door in Los Angeles. However, if you opt for standard shipping services, you must pick it up at the designated location.
- Sign the paperwork to finalize the shipment. Do not sign any paperwork finalizing the shipment until you have inspected the vehicle for damage.
- Should any damage occur, file an insurance claim. In the rare case that damage occurs to the vehicle during transport, you can contact the shipper’s insurance company to file a claim.
How Much Does It Cost to Ship a Car to Los Angeles?
When you need to ship your car to Los Angeles, the vehicle shipping cost for its transport will likely be one of your first questions. According to A-1 Auto Transport, the price to transport a standard four door sedan from Indianapolis to Los Angeles ranges from $827 to $994. Whereas, shipping the same car from New York to Los Angeles costs between $1,043 and $1,086. The overall price to ship a car to Los Angeles is dependent on a multitude of factors. These include the type of vehicle, distance, time of year, shipping method, fuel prices across the nation, and more. For example, to ship a classic car, you can expect to pay an additional $800 to $3,000 for its shipment.
To obtain to most accurate price for shipping a car to Los Angeles, your best bet is to reach out to an auto shipping company for a quote. At Ship Vehicles, all of our quotes are fully customized, no-cost, and no-obligation. Request a quote today by filling out our online request form or calling us at (877) 310-6434.
- A Brief Guide to Car Moving
- Everything About Shipping Multiple Cars Across Country
- Helpful Tips to Send Car to Another State
- Pickup Truck Delivery – The Benefits Associated
- Everything About Military PCS Vehicle Shipping
- Shipping Your Copart Auction Vehicle with the Right Copart Shipping Services
- Can you Ship a Car – Find the Answer Here!
- Everything You Must Know About How to Ship My Car to Hawaii
- How to Ensure a Safe Auto Transport!
- Here’s Your Guide To Motorcycle Shipping Cost Estimator