Purchasing a car through eBay Motors can be a very smooth and simple process. eBay is an online platform that is widely used by many car dealers to list their new and used vehicles for visibility to customers all over the world. It offers these dealers the opportunity to share their vehicles with a much larger audience, increasing their chances of making a quick sale.
Many factors need to be considered before and during your car search. Things like shipping, safety, insurance and other possible expenses should all be factored in. Although the buying and selling process on eBay is easy and efficient, it’s important to be familiar with how it works and also what the vehicle shipping process is like.
This guide will explain how the entire process works and also the options you have for getting your new car to its final destination.
How does the eBay car buying process work?
The process of buying a car on eBay is relatively straight forward. The seller will put the vehicle up for sale on the marketplace with all of the required details. At this point, consumers are able to submit bids to try to secure the car.
eBay allows you the opportunity to browse their marketplace of over 80,000 vehicles. Their easy, comprehensive search tool helps you filter by make, model, year, price range, distance from you and more. When you’ve found a vehicle that you’re interested it, their system gives you the option to buy it now or place a bid.
The safety of purchasing a car on eBay is the biggest draw. eBay car buying is known to be one of the safest methods of purchasing a vehicle on the internet. Their eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection has you covered against fraud and other certain losses.
What research do I need to do before buying a car off of eBay?
If you’re considering buying a car off of eBay, you need to understand exactly what you’re getting into by engaging in some research. If you’re better prepared you’ll be much more confident with your decisions and throughout the entire process. Here is some general information you should be aware of and consider before buying a car through eBay:
- Your particular needs and preferences. Consider exactly what you need this new vehicle for. Whether it’s to haul the family around in or for your own leisure, think about all the details.
- Registration forms and title. Check with your state’s DMV to understand the exact forms you’ll need to transfer the registration and title when you purchase a vehicle.
- Safety and emissions requirements in your state. If you’re purchasing a vehicle across state lines, this is an important step. Head to your state’s department of public safety website to make sure that you’re adhering to your state’s safety and emissions procedures.
- Before purchasing a car on eBay, call your insurance company for a free quote. It’s very common among car buyers to neglect considering how much a new auto insurance policy will be on top of the price to purchase the vehicle.
- Vehicle Shipping. How do you plan on getting your new car to you? If you’re not purchasing locally, you should factor in vehicle shipping into your budget.
Reviewing Sellers and Vehicles
Although eBay Motors offers a safe place to buy your new car, you should always do plenty of research on the seller and the car itself. Always keep in mind that if it sounds like it’s too good to be true, it probably is.
Begin your research with the seller. If it’s an individual who’s using eBay’s services for the first time, you may have some difficulty finding information. However, if it’s a dealership or experienced seller, you’ll have no issues. Check the seller’s feedback, read plenty of reviews to know what you’re getting yourself into and ask plenty of questions. Also, you can put the seller’s username or dealership name into a search engine to see if you discover anything about them or the company.
In regards to the vehicle, each listing will offer an extensive vehicle history report. Read through all the details before buying the car. Consider asking for a professional inspection of the car if they cannot provide any inspection documentation. Also, make sure that the vehicle is in good condition, the title is free and clear and that the price is within your budget.
Make good use of eBay’s Vehicle Protection Program. Read through the guidelines and make sure that the vehicle you decided on meets their coverage requirements. If you keep these factors in mind when reviewing the vehicle and seller, you’ll have a successful buying experience.
How do I ship my new car from eBay?
It’s important to first understand that eBay itself does not ship cars. Although they partner with a service called uShip, they do not have a dedicated vehicle shipping process. uShip is a service that allows vehicle haulers to compete for your business and ensures fair market rates. They often offer a full-transparency shipping quote included in the vehicle’s listing.
Typically, the buyer is the one responsible for retrieving the vehicle whether that be driving it yourself or having it shipped. On occasion, eBay dealerships may offer free shipping services. However, be careful because if a private seller says that they provide free shipping, this is most likely a scam.
If you purchase a local vehicle, you can arrange to pick it up yourself. However, if the vehicle is located in a different state than your own, you need to hire a professional auto transport company. With over 30 years of experience in the industry, Ship Vehicles is no stranger to providing world class transportation services to consumers all across the nation.
We guarantee that with us you’ll always get the best price for car or motorcycle shipping without compromising excellent service. Give us a call today and communicate with our team of shipping experts that you’ve purchased a vehicle through eBay. We’ll handle everything from there and work with you to have your new vehicle shipped and delivered right to your front door.
How much does it cost to ship a car from eBay?
Shipping a car that has been purchased from eBay is just like any other auto transport. You’ll need to provide the following information to your auto transport customer service rep in order to receive an accurate quote:
- Zip code and city of your new vehicle’s origin
- Zip code and city of vehicle’s desired destination
- Is the car in running condition?
- Type of transport (open or enclosed, private or shared)
To help put things into perspective, the national average for shipping a car off of eBay is about $.33 a mile. However, this number may vary from area to area. The type of transport you select will also heavily influence the final price that you pay. Enclosed vehicle transport services are provided at a higher rate than open transport. Also, if the vehicle doesn’t run, this may add anywhere from $50-$150 to the overall price, depending on locations.
We recommend giving our experts a call to answer any questions you have and provide you with a FREE, no obligation quote. We’ll help make your eBay car shipping process as simple and painless as possible.
- What Is Piggy Back Truck Transport? Explaining Everything You Should Know
- What Is Driveaway Auto Transport? Explaining The Basics
- Student Vehicle Shipping Discounts – Save Money On Shipping A Car
- Shipping An Airplane – Understanding Your Options & How It Works
- Shipping A Sprinter Van – What You Should Know About Commercial Van Shipping
- Shipping A Fire Truck – Everything You’ve Ever Wanted To Know
- How To Ship A Mobility Van – Answering Your Common FAQs
- How To Ship A Bus – Your Step-By-Step Guide
- Five Reasons to Use an Auto Shipping Service
- Common Auto Shipping Scams and How to Avoid Them